Golden Thoroughbreds Yahoo Group
Prospective Member Guide
What is a Yahoo group?
“Yahoo! Groups” is a free internet service that allows us to bring together members of an affinity group such as classmates, through a web site and email service. Yahoo Groups offers a convenient way to connect with others who share the same interests and ideas. Golden Thoroughbreds is one of thousands of Yahoo groups. The Golden Thoroughbreds Yahoo Group enables Hialeah High School alumni of the classes of 1957-1960 (and friends) to stay connected at a time when many of us are retiring and moving. If your home address or email address changes, simply login to Golden Thoroughbreds and update your membership information and your classmates (and the Reunion Committee) will be able to contact you.
You do not have to have a Yahoo e-mail account to be a member of a Yahoo group. You can use your regular AOL, Comcast, MSN (or whatever) email account if you do not have or do not wish to use Yahoo Mail for reading and posting Golden Thoroughbreds messages. Or, if you don’t have or use email at all, you can still read and post messages to Golden Thoroughbreds by using any internet web browser, so long as you have a valid Yahoo ID and associated password.
The following is a detailed description (it may look long but we erred on the side of too much information rather than too little) of how to join a group, what the capabilities of a Yahoo Group are. If you don’t find an answer to your questions here, Yahoo Groups also has an online help section.
How to join the group:
1. You received an email to join GoldenThoroughbreds/
2. Scroll down to the bottom of the email and click on the link to the yahoo group. This will bring you to the entrance page of the yahoo group you were invited into. Read the description of who the group is and what the purpose of the group is.
3. If you decide to join the group, click” Join this Group!” on the top of the page.
4. If you already have a Yahoo ID and password, enter your ID and your password . If you do not have a Yahoo ID click “Sign up now” on the left of the page. (Yahoo Groups is free, so you don’t have to worry about any cost to you.)
5. Enter what you would like your Yahoo ID to be. (Note: If you already have a Yahoo ID, you can use that one, or, you can have a special one for GoldenThoroughbreds.)
6. Enter the password you would like to use.
7. Enter your password one more time in the next box to confirm it.
8. Choose whether you would like Yahoo to create a free email address for you.
You do not have to use a yahoo e-mail to use this system. (in the ‘edit my membership’ section you can designate where you’d like e-mails sent)
9. Pick a security question you would like Yahoo Groups to ask you, in case you forget your password.
10. Enter the answer to your security question.
11. Omit your age - It creates confusion. Other members may think it's your HHS class year when viewing the member list.
12. Enter your email if you don’t have and choose not to establish a Yahoo account.
13. Enter your first and last name. THIS IS IMPORTANT!
14. Scroll to the language and content you would like.
15. Enter your zip code.
16. Scroll to your gender.
17. Scroll to the Industry you work in, and then the Title that best describes your job. (optional!)
18. Make sure the box below is checked if you would like to receive further information from Yahoo emailed to you. Then choose which categories of information you would like to receive. Otherwise make sure the box is not checked.
19. Type the word that you see in the image below.
20. Click Submit this form and follow any further instructions. (Note: You can add a photo if you wish!)
21. Verify the information listed. Make sure to record your Yahoo ID and password. You will need these to sign into Yahoo Groups. Yahoo will send an email to you with further instructions for the last step. You will have to activate your account, before you may actually use it.
22. Check your email to access the site to activate your account. You will receive an email that asks you to verify your email address.
23. Click the link that says “Important! Please click here to verify this email address for your account.”
24. Enter your password and click verify.
25. Your Yahoo account and email is now fully set up. You may either click the Yahoo link, enter your Yahoo ID and password to go back to Yahoo Groups, or just close the window.
If you want to join but did not receive an e-mail invitation to join the group?
How to join:
1. Go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/GoldenThoroughbreds/.
2. Click Register, located on the left, near the top of the page.
3. Follow steps 5 through 22 of “How to join the group” when invited (above).
How to sign on (once you’ve been approved):
1. Go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/GoldenThoroughbreds/
2. On the left side of the screen, under Sign In, click Registered Users Sign In!
3. Type in your user name and password.
How to read Group Messages using your web browser:
(Many members choose not to receive email from the group, but instead go to the website to read the messages. By going to the website, you can also view the photo albums, visit linked websites, and download files that members posted.)
1. Go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/GoldenThoroughbreds/ and sign in with your Yahoo ID and password.
2. Click on Messages on the left side of the screen.
3. A list of the messages and issues will appear. The subject of each message, the group who posted, their Yahoo ID and the date of the posting will be displayed.
4. You may click on the Subject of any message to display the entire message.
What does it mean to be a “Pending Member”?
A pending membership means that you have completed and verified all of the information necessary to become a member of that group, but your membership has not been approved yet. Golden Thoroughbreds is not open to everyone. To become a member one of the Moderators of the group must approve you. During this period, you may have access to the description of the group, and some other basic information, however you will not able to access any files until you are approved. When you have been approved, you will receive a confirmation email.